Posted on: 19th March 2019
Salary: £18,000 starting salary
Start date: ASAP
Close date: N/A
As a Graduate QA Engineer with 3Squared you’ll take an active role in testing our applications, helping to maintain the position of the RailSmart suite of products in the rail industry.
What 3Squared Do
3Squared build innovative and technically imaginative software solutions for the rail and construction sectors and has grown from 3 people and an idea in 2002 to a 50 strong team of talented people delivering award winning software for an ever-growing list of customers on the UK and abroad.
What you tell your friends you do
I use my knowledge and expertise to solve problems with technology. It’s a varied role, one day I’m working with the development team on a test approach for a particular feature and the next I’m performing exploratory test sessions. My main goal is to ensure our systems are sufficiently tested helping to ensure customers continue to have a great experience using our software.
What you’ll really be doing
- Working as part of a team to design and implement test strategies across a range of cloud hosted web applications and native mobile applications
- Providing expertise on technical and application matters to clients and colleagues
- Taking responsibility and owning the test process on the applications you work on
- Keeping your eyes and ears open for ways we can further streamline our processes
How you’ll be doing this
- You’ll be part of an agile, multidisciplinary team, bringing your own unique skill set to the table to collaborate with others
- You’ll collaborate with
- the Service Design team to understand client requirements, paying particular attention to the end user and business interactions and implications on the wider application, as well as helping them provide occasional end user training
- the Development team to define the test approach, helping to provide useful feedback quickly, ensuring we build features right first time and to aid them in diagnosing the root cause of bugs.
- the Project Management team to inform estimates, ensure timely delivery and highlight any risks
- the IT and Support Team as a subject matter expert to aid in the diagnosis of issues identified by end users
- the Sales Team to demo our applications to existing and potential clients
- You’ll work within the QA team to carry out testing on all our applications.
What we’ve worked on recently
- Carried out exploratory and manual test sessions to explore and understand how our systems behave and interact
- Worked with the development team to understand how we can test functionality as early as possible and to ensure we understand what success looks like before we begin building functionality
- Provided early identification of potential performance issues by carrying out load and performance testing on a range of web applications and APIs
- Used static analysis techniques on requirements documentation to identify potential defects prior to development
- Written mocked data services in Azure to return static test data for testing APIs
- Create codified API tests for quick and easy testing, reducing the manual work load
- Worked to implement security scanning of our applications
- Codified UI tests to speed up testing and to further build the technical skills within the team
Skills & Requirements
- You’re a technical and analytical person, with basic technical knowledge of how web and mobile applications are developed
- You’re naturally inquisitive and curious
- You have a strong desire to learn new skills and techniques, and are proactive in your own learning
- You are a confident communicator and able to convey technical information to non-technical people
- You understand the importance of testing software and the potential impacts of not doing so
- You have an understanding of what testing software means and what testing might involve
- You are keen to work closely with developers and business analysts
- You are open minded to new ideas and appreciate that context is king
- You don’t take information at face value and are always keen to dig deeper to get a full understanding
- You are comfortable coding in Java or C#
- You’ll really impress us if you have experience
- Performing functional and/or non-functional testing on web and/or mobile applications
- Working with Selenium and Postman
- Within the Rail Sector
- A 24-month graduate scheme which will take you through a structured training program from graduate to midweight, with performance-based pay rises at key intervals.
- A competitive salary – and to help you keep your money, we also chip in on your pension, offer Childcare vouchers, provide you with a bespoke Westfield health policy and offer a generous individual training budget to keep your technical skills on the cutting edge
- 22 days of paid leave, increasing with length service, plus bank holidays
- Flexible working arrangements, including flexible start/finish times around our core hours and working from home (once you’ve passed probation!)
- An iPad and Fitbit, plus free cereal and fruit each day, and beer and cookies on Fridays!
- We also have other amazing perks like a games room and social events – not to mention an absolutely fantastic team to work with!